The National Council for Teacher Education is a statutory body set up under the National Council for Teacher Education Act, 1993 to facilitate planned and coordinated development of the teacher education system in the country, and for regulation and proper maintenance of norms and standards in the teacher education system. The mandate given to the NCTE is very broad and covers the whole gamut of teacher education programs including research and training of persons to equip them to teach at pre-primary, primary, secondary and senior secondary stages in schools, and non-formal education, part-time education, adult education and distance (correspondence) education courses. The Council, under Section 12 is responsible for the following activities and functions:
1. to coordinate and monitor teacher education and its development in the country;
2. lay down guidelines in respect of minimum qualifications for a person to be employed as a teacher;
3. lay down norms for any specified category of courses or trainings in teacher education;
4. lay down guidelines for compliance by recognised institutions for starting new courses or training;
5. lay down stadards in respect of examiniations, leading to teacher education qualifications;and
6. examine and review periodically the implementation of the norms, guidelines and standards laid down by the Council.
The Council is empowered to grant recognition of institutions offering courses or training in teacher education.
What is available in NCTE Website ?
NCTE website provides details of institutions recognized by NCTE including courses recognized by it. There is a summary Fact Sheet about the institution with some details of the Courses. The site also includes a interesting section on Teacher as a Transformer. In this section, students can contribute and recall teachers who transformed them.
Website of National Council for Teacher Education