In 1961, the Government of India established the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) as an autonomous organization to assist and advise the governments at the Centre and in States in the implementation of their policies for education, especially to bring about qualitative changes in school education and teacher preparation.
Functions of NCERT includes Research, Development, Training, Extension, Publication and Dissemination and Exchange Programmes. The NCERT also drafts, publishes and recommends school text books (from Class I to Class XII) of various subjects based on the recommendations of knowledgeable faculty in the subject.
NCERT published books are used in government and private schools across India that follow the CBSE curriculum
Click here for Official website of NCERT
NCERT consist of following constituent units:
1) National Institute of Education (NIE), located in Delhi. Diploma courses in Guidance and Counselling, Early Childhood Care and Educational and a certificate course in Peace Education are among the major training courses offered currently by NIE departments. The NIE contributes to established areas of school education such as elementary education, science and mathematics, social science and humanities, language and art, education of children with special needs and computer education.National talent search is also responsibility of NIE
2) The Central Institute of Educational Technology (CIET), Delhi
Audio, video and multimedia programmes for children are developed at CIET.
3) Pandit Sunderlal Sharma Central Institute of Vocational Education, Bhopal
Organizes research,development, training and training and extension programmes in the area of work education and vocational education.
4) Regional Institute of Education (RIE), Ajmer
5) Regional Institute of Education (RIE), Bhopal
6) Regional Institute of Education (RIE), Bhubaneswar
7) Regional Institute of Education (RIE), Shillong
8)Regional Institute of Education (RIE), Mysore
The NCERT undertakes the following programmes and activities.
The NCERT performs the important functions of conducting and supporting educational research and offering training in educational research methodology.
The major developmental activities include development and renewal of curricula and instructional materials for various levels of school education and making them relevant to changing needs of children and society.
Pre-service and in-service training of teachers at various levels; pre-primary, elementary, secondary and higher secondary, vocational education, educational technology, guidance and counseling, and special education are the areas of training in which NCERT works.
Special programmes are organized for the education of the disadvantaged sections of the society. The extension programmes cover all States and Union Territories of the country.
Publication and Dissemination
NCERT publishes textbooks for different school subjects for Classes I to XII. It also brings out workbooks, teachers’ guides, supplementary readers, research reports, etc. In addition, it publishes instructional materials for the use of teacher educators, teacher trainees and in-service teachers. These instructional materials, serve as models to various agencies in States and Union Territories.
NCERT interacts with international organizations such as UNESCO, UNICEF, UNDP, NFPA and the World Bank to study specific educational problems and to arrange training programmes for personnel from other countries. It is one of the Associated Centers of APEID.
Scholarships by NCERT
NCERT provides following scholarships to school students
1) National Talent Search
Click here for details of NTS 2) Chaha Nehru Scholarships
Click here for details of CNS